I recently found out that one of my friends grows rhubarb in her backyard. Since, she’s not really into baking I was delighted when she said I could harvest some and take it home with me. I was ecstatic and quickly started working on a recipe to use them. I love the strong tart taste of rhubarb and the juicy sweetness of strawberries. Since rhubarb and strawberry are a match made in heaven they paired beautifully together in this recipe for crumb bars. With every bite you’re hit with the buttery crust, tart and sweet rhubarb strawberry mixture and the crunch from the streusel. Enjoy these while fresh rhubarb and strawberries are still around.
Rhubarb Strawberry Crumb Bars (adapted from Martha Stewart)
Makes 12 -16 bars depending on how big/small you cut them.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted plus extra for greasing the pan
- 3/4 cup packed Golden Brown Sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 lb rhubarb, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/2 lb strawberries, hulled and cut 1/4″ thick
- 1 1/2 tbsp golden brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9 inch square pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2″ overhang on two sides. This allows you to lift out the baked bars cleanly. Butter the pan and set aside.
- For the streusel: whisk together the butter, sugar, and salt. Add flour and mix together with a fork or your fingers to create large crumbs. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the bars: combine rhubarb, strawberries, brown sugar and 1/3 cup of flour in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, stir together remaining flour, baking powder and salt then set aside.
- In a mixer, beat butter and confectioners’ sugar together until light and fluffy. Slowly add in eggs and vanilla until combined. Stir in flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan, top with the rhubarb/strawberry mixture then top with the streusel.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in the pan, then remove from pan using the parchment overhang.
- Slice the bars into 12/16 pieces and serve.